Dense, Zirconia Structural Ceramics
Why Specify Toughened Zirconia for Critical Parts?
To lengthen maintenance cycles, reduce costs, improve process reliability, extend the life of mating parts and drive equipment performance. These formulations are strong, and tough and they offer exceptional wear & corrosion resistance.
How to Choose Between Refractron’s Family of Zirconia Formulations?
Consider the key properties, and temperature stability highlighted in the attached table. MgPSZ is often the lowest cost of this family of materials.
Izory® HD (MgPSZ) was developed with an improved microstructure which translates into a 15% increase in hardness (HV1), a 30% increase in strength (MOR) and a 40% improvement in wear resistance in standardized abrasion testing.
YTZP Zirconia exists in three different phases: monoclinic, tetragonal, and cubic. YTZP is produced almost entirely as crystalline tetragonal zirconia by incorporating about 3 mol percent yttria, or about 5 weight percent.
ATZ is produced by combining approximately 80% YTZP (almost entirely as crystalline tetragonal zirconia) with 20% fine grained alumina. The fracture toughness of the metastable tetragonal phase is enhanced by the introduction of the fine grained alumina into the structure.
How Does Toughened Partially Stabilized Zirconia Compare to Other Materials?
- 4 times stronger and up to 3 times tougher than alumina and sintered SiC
- Better corrosion resistance than metal & tungsten carbide.
- 2-3 times tougher than tungsten carbide
- ~30% lighter than steel and ~1/3 the weight of tungsten carbide
Use Refractron to Meet Your Business Objectives!
- 20 years expertise in manufacturing toughened zirconia for OEMs
- Free engineering assessments and design support
- Responsive customer service, simple quotes within 24 hours
- Face to face meetings to align goals, and discuss experiences, and technical requirements Improve supply chain reliability